This course is intended to give engineers a better insight into the basics of fluid sealing, particularly with regard to valves and associated equipment. The more commonly used gaskets, compression packing and elastomers/O-rings will be looked at in terms of the materials available, as well as their selection and use with advice on best practice with regard to fitting. The course starts off with the essential background information and then goes into more depth on subjects such as fugitive emissions, rapid gas decompression and seal failure modes.
- Understand how gaskets, packings and O-rings work.
- Be aware of the variety of materials used and select appropriate grades.
- Correct fitting.
- Live Loading of packings, and fugitive emissions testing with both be covered in gland sealing.
- Leakage testing, compact flanges and spiral-wound design in flange sealing.
- Rapid gas decompression, chemical attack and seal failure mechanisms in elastomer sealing.
Take-home notes on each subject will be provided.
There will be the opportunity to discuss specific problems or case histories.
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at individuals who wish to increase their knowledge on the selection and use of valve sealing components.